Several years ago, I became quite familiar with Intelius after taking matters into my own hands upon having my debit card stolen and used. I was floored at how much information I could get through this aggregation service of billions of public records by just entering a phone number or name.
What I love about Intelius' Datecheck which was just launced at DEMOfall 09 is that the iPhone app simply packages the data Intelius already aggregates into a very “consumer friendly” brand and user experience – and one that clearly targets women.
Key features include:
- Sleaze Dectector: Searches criminal records (DUI, theft, drug possession, etc.)
- Networth: Reviews asset information (property ownership, sq footage, and assessed value)
- Living situation: Assesses who and in what capacity you live with
- Interests: Pulls in public profile information from social network sites
- Compatibility: Uses date-of-birth to serve up astrological records (horoscopes)
While still a bit freaky (and somewhat shallow), this is phenomenally smart marketing as I suspect it was based on consumer insights as to how people have been using the Intelius service for years – let’s face it, we’ve all been known to look people up - Intelius attracts over 1 million visotors per day. And by leveraging the iPhone app craze, the company has managed to make themselves “portable”.
So when you’re out tonight and think you’ve met that special someone, you now have on-the-spot guidance in determining your next move.